Vocational / technical subjects have a work-related focus and cover some of the knowledge and practical skills required for a particular employment sector.
A number of school visits are arranged throughout the course of the year. Details of trips which have taken place this year or are planned in the future can be viewed in the School Visits, Enrichment area of the website.
- 12 computers
- Resources of current travel and tourism materials
- Up-to –date journals and magazines
Travel and tourism [all levels]
- www.Visitbritain.org - VisitBritain is Britain’s national tourism agency, responsible for marketing Britain worldwide and developing Britain’s visitor economy. Students will find current statistics and data required for coursework assessments at both Level 2 and 3.
- www.visitbritain.com - Inspiration and information for planning UK vacations. Places to visit, things to do, travel advice and accommodation throughout Britain
- www.ons.gov.uk - The Office for National Statistics provides current data and statistics for travel and transport.
- www.gov.uk – Information on Government and services
NCFE courses for students to study.
The approach with these options is more practical compared to a GCSE. 75% of the course is assessed by portfolios and 25% through an examination.
The NCFE courses require students to be well organised and have a real interest in these career paths. It is important that students have the skils to work in a team and manage their time effctively.
Students will work through school based and externally set coursework assignments, applying the following approaches
- Understanding practical tasks
- Review and evaluation
The Level 1/2 NCFE courses are graded
The course objectives:
This qualification is designed for students with an interest in health and fitness. It will provide students with the opportunity to develop and practise their own fitness programme.
- Prepare, plan and develop a personal health and fitness programme.
- Understand the benefits of fitness.
- Know the functions of the main body systems.
- Understand the benefits of a healthy balanced diet and how it affects lifestyles.
How students are assessed
One 2 hour external examination
- Preparing and Planning for Health and Fitness. (25%)
3 individual portfolios, responding to the briefs provided by the exam board, these will focus on:
- Principles of Health and Fitness. (25%)
- Healthy Lifestyles. (25%)
- Developing a personal health and fitness programme. (25%)
Beyond this course students could progress into a career within the Health & Fitness industry or an apprenticeship programme.
This qualification offers students the opportunity progress into further education or apprenticeships. It will give students a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in the food industry.